Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tile Coasters

I know I don't need any more new craft fair projects but I was reading on splitcoaststampers a discussion about them and decided I needed to try them. & when I try something, I end up making a bunch because I want to try different designs and then it's only worth it if I sell them & well...on it goes.

The main thing I learned is that there are tons of conflicting advice on the best way to make them. The consensus though is to use "tumbled" tiles from a home improvement store. These are the tiles that are porous and NOT glazed. I found ones that were 9 to a box so of course, I had to buy at least 4 boxes so I could have even sets of 4. I do recommend checking out each tile before buying though because they can be chipped or broken.

Next, I wiped off my tiles with a baby wipe front & back to get the dust off. Then I stamped the main images with Staz-on. Most of the tutorials say that if you use permanent inks or sharpies then you don't need to heat set the tiles to maintain the images. I'd probably heat set Staz-on before coloring with sharpies though just so the colors don't mix at all. I wanted to color mine with softer chalk ink so I did have to heat set. You can use regular chalks too with a Q-tip but I'd first put some Versamark on so the chalk stays better. I used a heat gun on mine after coloring with the chalk ink (most of the time I just used sponge daubers to color & then smudge with my finger to blend a little). I decided to be safe & went the extra step of baking the tiles in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. I just put them right on the rack. Finally, I sprayed them with acrylic matte sealer to protect the images from fading etc.

These coaster sets used Stampin' Up!'s retired "Summer by the Sea", retired "Celtic Knots" & the current "A Tree For All Seasons" (how did I live without that set until just last winter??) I could even see using some of them in a tile backsplash too!





Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. I love the 4 seasons coasters! Such a great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great. Love them all, the summer by the sea set is my favorite so soft looking.

    ReplyDelete