Saturday, November 15, 2008

Like Mother, Like Daughter

If you're a crafter with kids, I think you'll be able to relate to this situation--whenever I steal away into my craft room, before long "they" find me! & when they find me, especially my 4 yr.old daughter Maddie, they insist on doing what I do.

Okay, so last February I did a class on creating 16 cards in a tote made from half of Stampin' Up!'s Boho Blend Simply Scrappin' Kit (see pics--got the idea from a local SU! meeting). It's been sitting out in my craft room ever since then & numerous times Maddie has eyed it.

Yesterday, I was in there an inordinate amount of time trying out a couple of new craft fairs ideas. There's kind of a point of no return when my time becomes non-productive because one of the kids will inevitably come in looking for attention. (My craft room is right off their playroom so I can keep an ear on them.) With Maddie, it usually involves me having to stop what I'm working on to help her make "something pretty." This time she wanted to make the Simply Scrappin' tote & cards.


As you can imagine, you're trying to get stuff done, the creative juices are flowing, the last thing you want to do is stop & figure out a way a 4 yr. old can make something complicated without using your good supplies! (I keep a stash of "dispensable" supplies for the kids & taught them not to use my good stuff.) Anyway, on her own initiative, Maddie goes to get her paper & proceeds to cut it up(using my Stampin' Up! tabletop cutter--safe for the kids!) & puts on glue stick, & then brings me the pieces to fold together to make a tote. When we were done, she asked for the handle, which I did. Then on her own, she made a bunch of "cards" to put inside & here's the result!

So, while I know as a good mother, I should probably spend more time making stuff with her, I also can't help but be tickled & proud of what she does when left to her own devices with just a little assistance :-)
Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. I love your project and can totally understand about crafting with the kids! She did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great project! I know what you mean about trying to craft with kids. My 4 year old son always wants to help do stuff and I just don't know what to let him do without him ruining my good stuff LOL. So the other day I let him make some punch animals and he had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie

    Nice job on the tote and cards - I love this idea, hmmmmm - maybe I can use this idea for my classes!

    Your daughter's tote is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter will remember these moments forever! I love your tote and the cards - and your daughter shows great promise! She has a great example to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She did a great job!!! Love your tote and cards too!

    ReplyDelete